Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sumatra 8.5RS Earth Quake

This is the day i will remember as the day i got scared and nervous to the maximum. I was in Perlis visiting a relative who had met with accident. Around 4-20pm i felt dizzy and for a moment i became very nervous. I thought my BP had gone up and im about to collapse. I was so scared and was wondering if i should tell my wife to take me to hospital. Than all of us there realized that, the house was shaking  - front and back. We immediately ran out of the house and the whole row, people was already standing outside. It already struck my mind this should be an earth quake somewhere in Indonesia. I immediately asked my cousin to grab her laptop and ask my wife to switch it on while i was on the phone trying to get the Meteorological Department. Munis had called me to inform that it was shaky in Butterworth. I told him i had felt it to and asked him to rush to Perai to check on high rise building. Murali & Yacop was already at Teluk Indah Flat assisting the people who lives in 21 story flats.

Report of Pacific Tsunami Warning Center 
Withing minutes i was already online getting info mostly from Twitter & Facebook updates. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center had also by then issued the report & tusnami alert for 28 countries. I was providing Yakoph ( JKKP Secretary ) & Munis ( SEEDS Chairman ) on the latest info, so that it will enable them to handle the situation smoothly. Many were following my tweets for updates and when i had to stop for a moment with the updates, i start receiving calls and sms to provide more details. 

I was on the way to Kuala Perlis, when we came across the authorities had cordon off the entire road heading to Kuala Perlis where it is by the sea facing Pulau Langkawi. It was a good team work. While back in Perai, Munis, Murali & Yakoph was assisting the residents. They had called in the Police to visit the area and explain to the residents on the current situation. 

I remain online to provide information to my buddies out there when the second quake happened. Thank God by 10pm all Tsunami alert was called off. Evan tough some had opted to stay in the SJKT Ladang Prye hall, but eventually they went back home after being brief on the situation and convincing them that everything was safe now.

Road Closer at Kuala Perlis
Taman Teluk Indah 2. Perai. Pic courtesy of Mr. Murali